Wednesday, June 6, 2012

God Testing For Dummies

Yup, I'm still ruminating the whole Mack Wolford thing. Can ya tell? Dudes and Dudettes, I have a Bible and a brain and I can usually use both in tandem, provided its still early enough in the day and I'm not battling rush hour traffic, a cranky teen or an empty gullet. (Tam can't cogitate on an empty gullet) So here's my ish of the day. First and foremost, I am not a "Charismatic or Pentacostal", capiche? My church of choice is a non-denominational family church. We do pray in tongues. We do pray "hands on" - but we are never disorderly. There's no yelling and screaming and flopping around in the aisles. Our worship is ordered. We have music - led by a band - everyone sings (no hymnal, the words are on a screen.) the music is contemporary. We have offering. We have a message - with Bible verses - from our pastor. We have a Sunday school and nursery for kids. We have Tuesday night service - with a separate service that is amped up for teens. We have yearly conferences - one for teens, one for women and one for men. We have small groups that meet. We are orderly enough and Bible based enough that I still feel comfort when I step into a Lutheran or a Baptist or a Methodist church. We are very "normal" AND WE ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT KISS A SNAKE! I guess it just sticks in my craw when the Fred Phelps (Westboro Baptist Church) and the Mack Wolford's of the world get all the attention. Seriously, the man had about 25 peeps with him for his snake fiasco service. On any given Sunday we see about a thousand to 1500 at our services. And none of us would lead you astray by telling you to "test God" by handling something that could kill you." That whole testing God thing is grossly misinterpreted and most Christians are savvy enough to know that "test" is equivalent to "prove" as in - if you have faith in God and you obey what you know to be God's will for you - you will be blessed. You disobey - and you and your free will can put you in a place where you will face consequences. BTW - don't latch on to the whole Malachi issue - again, that's only part of it and usually the test/tithe/bless thing is taken out of context. You can't tithe and expect massive money when you go out and sodomize your grandkids. (I'm just saying that for effect.) Christianity is not an a la carte buffet. Its a combo plate and you can't substitute one thing for another. I'm not gonna get preachy. As always - I have no conversion agenda. If you're Christian, pagan or stripey cat worshipper, its fine with me. I'm a Christian because I choose to be one but I am definitely not perfect and not in the position to pass judgement on others. I can only speak for myself on most things and exhort as I am able. And I seriously encourage you - don't kiss a snake. If you are seeking the appearance of God in your life, just ask. Its a whole lot simpler and won't require an injection of anti-venom is His response time isn't in your predefined schedule. Mack Wolford disappoints me with his display of flawed humanity. But I'm also disappointed by the people who are cashing in on his tragedy by making disgusting jokes about it over the airwaves. If you're gonna pick on a peep - pick a peep that can pick back. That's all I'm saying. peace. Its early in the day and I'm thinkin' I could probably make a dent in my genealogy hints. Yup. For all of you who commented on my Examiner article - THANK YOU SO MUCH. Even if you don't agree - your comments help me grow as a writer, so I appreciate your candor and input. Have a wonderful weekend. If you are a stripey cat worshipper - it may be ok to kiss the stripey cat - provided its really a domestic variety cat and not a 300 tiger...Perspective, people. perspective.

No comments: