Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I've been meaning to...but....

eah, whatevs. Its been over a week since I visited this place and wrote anything of merit. I have my reasons. Whether they be sufficient fodder for a lame post is anyone's guess but if you're a betting person - don't bet on it.

For those of you new to me - I'm a church goer. In my opinion to deride the assembling of believers for assembling is tantamount to booing the bride at a wedding. (My pastor said something like that. I thought it was smartly put) This isn't a church blog or a christianity blog (its a rambling brain dump lead in. Just bear with a chick ok?) but part of my belief system is that as a Christian I am better served and I serve others better if I put myself under the regular tutelage of a Bible based Pastor with like minded people. I neither seek nor expect perfection but regular participation makes me better equipped as a human dealing with others of my species. (keeps me from offing some of God's lesser critters too, so its all good) Any way. I go every Sunday but not normally anymore for midweek service; however, I did last night as we are starting up our semester of small groups and I finally took the ego crunching plunge and steeled myself to do a writers' workshop. I came home and my younger spawn asked me how many had signed up for my class. I said, "about nine." to which he responded "So you're officially in over your head, huh.?" Yeah, well. About that.

Truth is, in my little doggy heart I believe that even the most socially stunted of us need contact with others of our species and if we are of the "writer" variety - its even more difficult for us to fill that space. We write because we are simply better on paper than in person so we trip over ourselves when it comes to networking and getting the support we need to move forward in our goals for our writing projects. Yes, there are a lot of groups out there but often those of us who have a desire to write "light" struggle finding enclaves of writers who won't pigeon hole us into the "Amish Romance" or the "Max Lucado devotional" bin. Nothing wrong with either type - but like secular writing - Christian writers write about all kinds of things - the possibilities are endless. I myself am working on a historical fiction novel, a fiction work with "dark" overtones - not a horror novel per se but it deals with possession and abuse. I have a comedic work, a contemporary fiction work andasci fant trilogy. My first novel was YA fiction. I also write poetry and short stories. (I don't do Amish Romance.)

So the plan is to get these people together and put some resources in reach so that they can take their projects to the next level - be that publishing, editing, a beta group, kicking writers' block to the curb whatever.

I am sure I am in over my head but that's ok. Sometimes the only way to get what you need is to give it to someone else who needs it. nowutImean? And so in my limited spare time I've been pondering the possibilities of developing a successful face to face writers' group. I'm stoked. I hope I don't blather on insanely like a kid after too many snacks and spinny carnival rides. I am prone to semi automatic mouth fire when under pressure.

Peace.

No comments: