Friday, June 20, 2014

Warning: This blog may be offensive...really?

The cool thing about blogging these days is that so few people actually read, I can pretty much say anything I please. Toss in two or three consecutive blogs where I mention the words “church” “Christian” and “Jesus” in close proximity and Viola! Reader Hanta Virus. They seize up and disappear in droves. Which leaves me with one or two who are too bored or feel too much pity for me to abandon ship. This blog therefore is for you.
So let me tell you about the day thus far. Dawning as it did with the resignation that I had to put on acceptable street clothes, lacquer the trim and be civilized for a meeting which was unfortunately held on my usual every other Friday off – thus blowing any opportunity for personal time, sanity or leg shaving totally out of the water. I’m still seething but authority is authority and I didn’t have permission to buck it, foaming as my soft mouth was at the application of such a gnarly bit.
I stopped at Blake’s to grab a couple of burritos as I am blessed with both spawn this week (elder spawn having had intimacy occur between a sharp object and a phalange at his employment – garnering him eight stitches and a surprise vacay) and I loathe cooking, then I attempted to at least rearrange the soap scum in the bathroom before my spawn and I went out for a movie (I think it’s the second time that’s ever happened. The Tamster doesn’t get out much for entertainment. It’s that whole acceptable clothing, lacquering up and being civilized on a day off thing.) On the way home in the car I attempted to get that damnable iridescent slick of “whythehellcantiseethroughthese” off my glasses and oh joy of joys, I am now down one nose piece. Yee ha. If I wasn’t already awkward, now my glasses hang even more crooked on my face. (And there are about 30,000 reasons why I really needed my glasses to last for about 16 more months)
So while the spawn were prepping for a promised nacho feast I decided to waste a few minutes trolling around on ye ole Facebook when what do I stumble upon? Some chatter about a Muslim in Texas who was offended by a neighbor’s display of the American Flag because it was threatening to Muslims. Oh the HORROR of seeing stars and stripes – on a cloth – and all of it was FLAPPING. I was flapped at once. I’m in therapy now. Are you kidding me? No wait. Are. You. Kidding.  Four generations ago most of my family came from half way across the planet with nothing but a change of clothes. They didn’t have friends or family here. They didn’t have a scholarship or protected status. They didn’t have organizations to hold their snotty tissues and walk them through the cafeteria. They learned the language, adopted the laws and culture and became successful, law abidin’, tax payin, grateful Americans. Or they went back across the pond. Or they died in the process. Later some of them signed up and died for people they never knew in a war they didn’t choose. Some of them even LIED about their ages so they could go serve. Let me just ask this? Why are you even here in this country, benefiting from everything it has to offer if you are offended by the simple symbol of it displayed by one of its citizens as is that citizen’s right. It’s not like someone broke in – hog tied the person and tattoed a big ole stars and stripes on his soft underparts. That would be a threat.   I certainly don’t want to offend anyone intentionally but this is no more stupid than if I were to go across the street and tell my Catholic Latino neighbor that his Mary of Guadalupe statue in his front yard is offensive and I feel threatened by it because I am a white female protestant who moved here 20 years after he paid for his property and put up his small reminder of his personal faith in his own yard. I am so threatened by that bit of plaster and paint. My entire way of life is in jeopardy.
I understand it may appear that my rant borders on some form of discrimination but consider the ramifications of this bit of what we might pass off as stupidity. It starts subtly enough. No displays of national pride. No flags. No stickers. Don’t offend anyone. And certainly for Christians – we are taught to turn the other cheek when we’re offended. We can still wear patriotic underwear. No one will know, right? So it’s only a little thing if we can’t pray in school because we can still do it silently. And why pledge allegiance to the Flag (oh and the republic for which it stands because who wants liberty and justice for all when the flag is so heinously offensive) Lets just chip away at any form of identity or ideology because you know what? If no one argues we all get along and that’s peace, huh. Sure. Only if you plan on scheduling that lobotomy because where we’re all headed you don’t need a frontal lobe.
I say: BRING IT ON. I’m gonna go put my flag out. I’m gonna fly it every day. I am grateful for my rights and I am going to use them and keep using them because if I don’t, I forfeit them. Come on people. If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Old saying but still relevant. All things being equal means most of us loose what is precious to us to the raucous and verbose minority that is threatened or inconvenienced by anything that holds them to a standard. I’m going to come to your house, demand that you change your lifestyle to please me and you have no say. When we cave to the inane-ness of taking down our own flag in our own country because it is offensive – this is what we are allowing. Eventually we will give up all our rights in order to keep “peace” which isn’t peace at all but the total absence of free will. I for one, I am not going there without a fight. And unfortunately – we all may have that opportunity to fight for our freedoms if we continue to allow guests in our home to make the rules for us, for our children, for our future generations.

Peace.   

No comments: